Dr. Vanda Abi-Raad, MD, MHPE
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology
Director, Clinical Simulation Center
Lebanese American University – School of Medicine
Lebanese American University Medical Center-Rizk Hospital
LAU extension: 2991
Office location: CHSC 4300
Education and Training
- Master in Health Professions Education (MHPE), 2015. University of Illinois– Chicago.
- Certificated Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE), 2013. Society of Simulation for healthcare.
- Diploma in Ultrasound-Guided Regional Anesthesia, 2011. Faculty of Medicine, Lebanese University and University of Rennes-France.
- Diploma in Pedagogy for Teaching in University, 2010. Faculty of Education, St Joseph University, Lebanon.
- Arab Board of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, 2008.
- Diploma in Regional Anesthesia, 2006. Faculty of Medicine, Marseille-France.
- Diploma in Cardiovascular Anesthesia, 1993. American University of Beirut- Lebanon
- Diploma in General Anesthesia, 1992. American University of Beirut- Lebanon
- Doctor of Medicine Diploma, 1989. Faculty of Medicine, Saint-Joseph University, Lebanon
- Regional anesthesia and pain medicine
- Medical education and simulation–based education
- Yazbeck-Karam V, Aoun Bahous S, Faour W, et al. Influence of standardized patient body habitus on undergraduate student performance in an Objective Structured Clinical Examination. Med Teach. 2014; 36: 240-244.
- Aouad MT, Nasr VG, Yazbeck-Karam VG, et al. Comparison between dexamethasone and methylprednisolone for vomiting prophylaxis following tonsillectomy in inpatients children-a randomized trial”. Anesth Analg.115(4): 913-20, Oct 2012.
- Marie T Aouad, Yazbek Karam V, Mallat C, et al. The Effect of Adjuvant Drugs on the Quality of Tracheal Intubation without Muscle Relaxants in Children. A Systematic Review of Randomized Trials. Pediatric Anesthesia. 2012 July, Vol 22 (7), 616–626.
- Kanazi G, El-Khatib M, Yazbeck-Karam V, et al. The role of a single oral dose (2g) of vitamin C in reducing intensity of pain and opioids consumption in patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy. A randomized, doubleblinded, placebo-controlled study. Can J Anaesth. 2012 Jun; 59(6): 538-43
- Yazbeck-Karam VG, Barakat H. Perioperative management of Children with behavior disorders. Middle East Journal of Anesthesiology 2011; 21:191-198.
- Yazbeck-Karam, VG. Siddik-Sayyid SM, Abi Nader EL, et al. Supplementation of Retrobulbar Block With Clonidine in Vitreoretinal Surgery: Effect on Postoperative Pain. J Clin Anesth. 2011 Aug; 23(5): 393-7.
- Yazbeck-Karam V, Haswani RW, Mousallem NM, et al. Severe intraoperative carcinoid crisis during excision of carcinoid tumor of the ileum in a patient having carcinoid heart failure. Acta Anaesthesia Scandinavia. 2009; 53(3): 414-415.
- Yazbeck-Karam V, Haswani RW, Karam HS, et al . Unusual case of difficult double-lumen tube extubation. Journal of Clinical Anesthesia 2009; 21: 514-516.
- Yazbeck-Karam V, Aouad M. Perioperative uses of dexmedetomidine. Middle East Journal of Anesthesiology 2006; 18: 1043-58.
- Yazbeck-Karam V, Aouad M, Bleik J, et al. Propofol-remifentanil-based anesthesia versus sevoflurane-fentanyl-based anesthesia for immediate postoperative ophthalmic evaluation. European Journal of Anaesthesiology 2006; 23: 743-7.